Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Time for a new one?

Well February is here already! January flew by rather quickly actually and thank god for the Lunar New Years long weekend. I know I just had my Christmas vacation but I really needed this one. I came up with a list of activities and ideas for our break that was a page long and we did none of them! It was great, I have to say. We have some good news and some bad news here, the little cafe that we enjoy has closed down..boo urns...it happens alot here, places open and close regularly here. It's hard for businesses to really take hold and have 'staying power' here since there are sooo many other businesses just like it moments away. So, back to hunting for a tea sipping place. However, the bad news is easily forgettable compared to the good news! Asim and Etaf finally had their little baby boy and everyone is happy and healthy here, so cheers to all that.


School has been the same here, nothing new to report. The kids are all still quite lovable and I have a great time with them. I find myself so impressed with them on so many days with their abilities and their growing knowledge. It pretty cool to know that I was apart of it in some way. Whether I was a big or a small part of it..who knows! We had our Lunar New Years here on the 28th of January and it's the equivalent of our new years, in terms of holidays and parties. We had a 4 day weekend and we really needed it. For the school we had a sleep over for the 7 year olds and then we had a new years day theme for the morning after. This means that we all bow to each other (students to teacher) and then I bowed to them. It was a pretty nice little ceremony for me, the kids taught me a few lessons and I really enjoy it when they do. The kids and the teachers we all dressed in 'Hanboks', the traditional wear here in Korea. The pants were huuuge and instantly reminded me of MC Hammer. So with that in mind the kids had a little lesson on how to 'Hammer Dance'. I showed them a little video of Hammer shimmying back and forth in his parachute pants. Justin saw the video and yells out 'MC HAMMER! One of the funniest moments of my year. We're heading to the zoo in a few weeks and I think this is where I'll really shine.



The weather here has begun to get warm and then get cold again but I think it's really starting to warm up all together now. Spring arrives here in March and I'm so ready for it. I'm very tired of living in a dull city where your only recreational acitivity is based around consumerism. But thank god for this little cafe Shan and I found, 'Gloria Jeans'. It's small, quiet, good teas and plays English music! Boo yah! I know this seems like a small victory for me, but it's nice to go in there and completely forget where you are.



Well, this piece of the blog is taking a while to actually finish. It's the week of the new arrivals and departures. The new teachers begin arriving today and 3 of our teachers leave for greener pastures. This will be an interesting change for the school and for myself. I lose my 7 year olds (6 year olds in Canada) and I get new 6 year olds (5 years old in Canada). In Korea when you're bown you start off at 1 year old. Which doesn't make alot of sense to me, but hey...what do I know?





Shan's school continues to get crazier all the time, I have to get her to start writing some of these stories down so we don't forget about them.

No comments: